Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Muybridge



Muybridge was a photograher. He took horse in motion pictures and spectacular landscape photography using pioneering techniques back in the days. Born in Britain and emigrated to the United States in 1850's. He was the most influental photographers of all time. As a photographer he influenced Edgar Degas, Douglas Gordon and composer Philip Class. 


He developed the techniques that would allow him to photograph objects in motion. Maybe now days this kind of technology is 'so yesterday' but i guess back in his days he just capture something that the human eyes never see before.


http-//www.tate.org.uk/britain/exhibitions/eadweardmuybridge/default.shtm. 
http-//www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2010/apr/27/eadweard-muybridge-tate-britain-motion-studies.htm



He have a lot of motion studies of horses (animals) and humans, also tackling numerous other subjects including wrestling men, a dancing woman and fencers.



This is a small sketch book I carry when I went to the exhibition. Did a little experiments with editing photos so that it looks old.

I really enjoyed looking at his early landscape photography. I really like his seventeen foot panorama of San Francisco. 


http-//www.ronhenggeler.com/History/Muybridge/two

http-//www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2010/apr/27/eadweard-muybridge-tate-britain-motion-studies

Overall I think the exhibition was alright. His studies and recreations of the zoopraxiscope in action was a little bit boring for me his work is very repetative. However I enjoy most of his photographs. 

Anyways  I did experimental photographs of strawberries drop on to water motion! And I reproduce these photo's by drawing them. This are the results...


gif animator
Charcoal on brown paper
gif animator
Ink on white paper

gif animator
Acrylic paint on paper


I think the drawings are not bad for a starts. However I want to do more experiments with the photo's because I'm not satisfy with the photos. I think I'll do more experiments with the lighting.








All criticisms are welcome, please do :)

3 comments:

  1. your experiments on the strawberry dropping in water are amazing!!
    i especially like the charcoal and ink ones, the splashing in the ink one looks really good, and i like the colours of the acrylic - especially on the 3rd (i think!) shot (:
    i see what you mean with the photos, you captured the movement perfectly but i guess if you had a different coloured light shining on it maybe? or somehow increase the contrast between light and dark?

    ReplyDelete
  2. great experiment, very talented :)
    i love the acrylic paint one. pantulan warna strawberry di airnya realistik bgt. keren!
    say hi to Nabila :) hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. have no any experiences in art so no idea.
    but i can tell, it's pretty cool to me ;)
    hello from Sydney !

    loves,
    jjeenniii

    ReplyDelete